All Your Shipping Container Answers!
Buying or hiring a shipping container doesn’t need to be difficult. We have provided a handy list of our most commonly asked questions, if there is anything you think we missed, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our sales team!
What Container Grade Should I Choose?
- New – Factory direct from Asia, your new container has been shipped to Australia containing cargo, in order to reduce shipping costs. These new units are often referred to as “one-way” new builds.
- A Grade – Previously used, but in good condition and suitable for furniture or archive storage. Average age of unit would be 10-12 years.
- Cargo Worthy – Previously used and typically sold in “as is” condition. These containers are fresh out of service from shipping lines, and will be in a wind and watertight / cargo worthy condition. These containers can be certified (upon request, at no extra charge) for international shipment, or for local rail use. Cargo Worthy units are secure (can be fitted with a lock box for added peace of mind) and are a good choice when practicality and budget override presentation.
At Gateway, we class the majority of our containers as either New, A Grade or Cargo Worthy as the blanket “B Grade” class (offered by most resellers) is not always an accurate representation of what your container will be. If you have any more questions on the differences between the containers, please don’t hesitate to let us know!
A Grade Painted A Grade – Touch up paintwork only A Grade – Touch up paintwork only Cargo Worthy Cargo Worthy
How do I contact Gateway Container Hire and Sales?
Call from anywhere in Australia on 07 3348 6463 for information on our great range of new, used and refurbished containers for hire or outright purchase. Our team is ready to help out with any questions you might have. Alternatively you can always use our online enquiry form and we will contact you within 24 hours.
How soon can my storage container be delivered?
We can often deliver within 24 hours of ordering. Delivery time depends on product availability, the number of storage containers you need, what kind of accessories or modifications you may require and where you are. A member of the Gateway team will give you a definite delivery date and time when you place your order. Find out more about delivery options.
What’s the best way to pack a shipping container?
Below are our top tips for packing your shipping container for storage and transportation:
- Golden Rule: Heavy items on the bottom, lighter items on top
- Try to distribute the weight of the contents evenly throughout the container
- Use the lugs (steel loops at the top and bottom of the container) to secure any movable contents with strapping (criss-cross works well)
- Protect your furniture by wrapping in blankets or plastics
- All electrical equipment should be clean, dry and secure: electrical cords taped to appliance, doors securely closed
- Strap together any longer loose items eg. garden tools, cleaning equipment
- Drain any liquids prior to storage – eg. petrol from mowers
- Disconnect all batteries
- Don’t overload your smaller boxes (eg. bulging sides or overflowing from the top), this makes stacking much more difficult
- Reinforce the bottom of your boxes with extra packing tape
- Use smaller items to pack in between the larger boxes
- *Recommendation: Make an inventory list as you pack and label/number your boxes to easily find items at a later stage
There are some items you shouldn’t store in a shipping container and these include;
- Hazardous items
- Dangerous goods
- Illegal goods
- Stolen goods
- Perishables unless suitable for storage in the wine storage area
- Environmentally harmful goods
Check out this YouTube video for more tips on how to maximise the space in your container.
How secure are Gateway containers?
Gateway containers are built tough, for tough Australian conditions. Our containers are engineered from heavy gauge corrosion resistant steel. Most containers are fully lockable, wind, water and vermin proof. For additional security we offer modifications that will ensure your container’s contents stay safe and secure.
Do I need council permission?
Each council has its own rulings on shipping containers therefore it is recommended that you give your local council a call before making a purchase or committing to a hire. If you need to know more than give us a call on 07 3348 6463 and we will be able to point you in the right direction to get more information.
What size are Gateway storage containers?
Our standard containers are available in 3 lengths; 10ft, 20ft & 40ft there are also mini containers available. Alternate sizes can be custom-built to your exact specifications. Click here for further information Gateway’s container products or review our complete list of container specifications for more sizing detail.
How do I know if I’ll need a 20ft or a 40ft container?
20ft containers can hold about 24 to 33 m3. and are usually enough space for a 1 to 2 bedroom household or 1 vehicle with a few, small-sized household goods. While 40ft containers can hold about 52 to 62 m3 and are usually reserved for 3 to 5 bedroom households or 1 vehicle and a 2 bedroom household. See our full container specifications page for more details.
What if I don’t know exactly what I need?
Not an issue! Our qualified and experienced team know how to assist you in finding the best container solution. We’ll help structure a solution for your unique needs depending on how long you need your container, as well as what sorts of accessories and modifications you might require. Let’s have a chat. Simply call us on (07) 3348 6463.
Why would I select Gateway containers?
At Gateway we are committed to providing quality products, customer satisfaction and great value. We view our customers as partners and we’ll go the extra mile to meet your individual requirements, whether it’s prompt delivery, complex modifications, branding or simply making sure that your container solution makes perfect sense. Read about our 9 competitive advantages to see more!
Of course we also offer the industry leading Gateway guarantee on all of our containers, accessories and modifications – for your peace of mind.
What purchase options does Gateway offer?
Containers are available for purchase with almost any container available for short or long term hire.
How will I be invoiced for my rented container(s)?
Customers are invoiced on a monthly billing cycle. Payment can be made by credit card or direct debit. Call us (07 3348 6463) to discuss other payment structures – we’re here to help.
How do I pay if I purchase a storage container?
Payment is required at the time of delivery or pick-up. Means of payment include cheque, cash, direct credit or by EFT (Visa, Mastercard, Bankcard, Amex).
What if I don’t need my rented container anymore?
Simply contact us and we will arrange pick-up from your specified location.
If I purchase a container from Gateway, will I be able to sell it back to Gateway at a later date?
Of course. We know that your requirements may change, so Gateway operates a no hassle buy-back program. We will buy back your container at a rate of 60% of the original cost, subject to condition and transport costs incurred to collect the container.