Buy a Shipping Container – How Do You Do It?
How to Buy a Shipping Container
Regardless of whether you want to buy a second hand container to shift you things overseas, for storage or to convert to housing, there are a number of tips to help you with the buying process.
Tips to Help you Buy a Shipping Container
- Purpose: What will you be using the container for? If you are using it for storage, then you will want it to be in good enough condition that it is still water tight. If you are using it for construction, the condition is not as important as it will be modified.
- Location: If you are in a city or close to a coastal port, then the cost to buy a shipping container will generally be lower than in other locations.
- Research: Before you purchase a shipping container, make sure that you have done your research about the company you are buying through and their reputation.
- Size: Find out what sizes are available and work out which ones will best meet your needs.
- ISO standard: If you are planning to use the container for shipping or moving it semi-regularly, then you should make sure that you buy an ISO standardised container as some transporters will not move non-standard containers.
- Grade: Used containers are graded either A, B or C according to their condition. Depending on what you are planning to use it for, the condition may be very important.
When you are buying a container be sure to physically check the container – never buy one unseen.
If you are planning to use the container for shipping or storage, you will need to ensure that it is in good condition – water tight, vermin proof and that the door seals are secure.
When you buy a shipping container for construction or remodelling the condition is not quite as important.
Upon inspection and purchase of the container you should note down the serial number of the container. The serial number can be found in several places on a shipping container including the doors. When you buy a shipping container and have it delivered – check that the serial number matches what you have purchased. Some unscrupulous companies may try to offload containers in poor condition to you.
Need more help? Contact Gateway Container Sales & Hire to discuss your individual needs and our team will ensure that you can purchase your shipping container trouble free.