Transporting Containers: What Do You Need to Know?
Gateway Container Sales and Hire are experts in shipping containers and portable storage. We have been buying, selling and transporting containers for years, and have a great team of experts who can guide you through every step of the process.
We have everything you need to get your project from A to B. Transport is one of those issues that requires specialists with the right kit – let’s look at how we can help you move your empty shipping container.
Decisions, decisions – do you purchase or hire?
One of the first things you must consider before using a transport container is whether you purchase the container outright, or if you hire it, either short of long term.
There are numerous factors that might contribute to your decision:
- What is your intended use?
- How often you plan to use it?
- What modifications are required?
- What is your budget?
Once you have answered these questions and decided whether to rent or whether to buy a shipping container, we can deliver to your door anywhere in Australia. We have the ability to start transporting containers either from our Brisbane site or from one of our independent depot operators across Australia straight away.
Loading, delivering and transporting containers to your site
Once you’ve decided on the type of container, any modifications and whether you’ll rent or buy, it’s time to arrange transportation. Sure you can do all the hard work yourself, but why would you want to when we can arrange it all for you? Just make sure you take the following into account:
- What direction do doors open? Make sure that the position of the container will allow you to open the doors, move in and out and load the container with ease. You don’t want additional costs of having to reposition the container after delivery!
- What is the surface of your delivery site like? Is it dry, hard and free of obstructions? Do you need to put props or other supports under the container? We recommend flat ground to ensure the doors open easily. Spending a short time preparing the surface is far easier than having to fix problems after the container is delivered.
- What is the best way to deliver the container to your location? Choose the delivery method that is the most cost and time effective for your location – be it by road, rail or sea. Once it arrives it will be unloaded – there are 3 main options, tilt tray, side loader or HIAB, however in tricky situations a crane or helicopter can also be used.
- How much time do you have? Transport delivery times are subject to availability of the transport vehicle. We recommend using a delivery window as most transport companies will nominate an AM or PM time. This is the nature of the industry and it works on a daily basis. If you need a container at a specific time, we recommend organising transport for the day prior.
Using your transport container
Once your transport has been delivered on-site you’ll want to get using it, such as for moving goods and livestock around the country. You’ll want to load it up efficiently and safely, luckily – our modified containers are built to ensure the easiest way of loading, safely storing and transporting containers full of goods across country.
Once loaded or packed you’ll need to get it back onto its method of transport. Depending on location, loaded weight and other factors you’ll usually use a swing lift or a crane, or in the case of less common situations, a helicopter. If you require, Gateway Containers can arrange a swing lift or crane, to load your packed containers onto transport, and we have a wide range of contacts with transport operators who can send your goods around Australia.
Ready to go?
All ready to start shipping your container? Contact our team today to discuss what type of transport container is right for you, and the best way to get it onsite to your location, and delivered around the country. Whether you need a container for removals or something a little bit more “outside of the box” Gateway Container Sales & Hire can help!