Need a Dedicated Workspace? Consider a Shipping Container Home Office
With many of us working from home due to the global pandemic, space and privacy is an issue. How do we achieve the same standards that we would in the workplace? Could it be time to think outside the box and use a converted shipping container as a home office?
Reasons to Have a Shipping Container Home Office
Until only last year many of us had our homes and workplaces as separate entities. Our homes had enough space for our families to coexist comfortably with living, entertainment, sleeping and eating spaces. Work was a place you travelled to with the amenities for efficient output – desks, telecoms, communal eating spaces – and other necessary things to keep us productive.
The world has changed, possibly forever. Now you don’t know who might be breathing on you at work, and for the employer, outbreaks of COVID-19 are bad for the output of the company. Thousands of us have had to work from home for the sake of ourselves and our employers. Could a garden workspace be the answer?
By having a separate, secure, dedicated home office we can avoid the dramas and action of family life and, instead of commuting to our workplace miles away, head outside and commute a much shorter distance to the garden instead.
With Zoom, telecoms and a dedicated office, we can work at the intensity and efficiency our employers wish us to – a win/win situation. Yes, it is also tax-efficient to set up a home office too, putting more money in our wallets for time with our families!
Pre-built vs Built from Scratch
Not all of us have the budget for a fully wired up, bespoke outside office. A dedicated office built from scratch with its foundations, long delivery time and overall expense can be cost prohibitive. That’s why there are more benefits to using a shipping container as a home office.
Shipping container home offices have the following advantages:
- Low relative cost compared to bricks and mortar buildings
- Secure, having been built to withstand the rough world of international, multimodal trade
- Easily fitted out with cheap or high end furniture depending on your budget
- Can be set up just the way you want with any modifications you like
- Built off-site and can be dropped onto cheap, yet secure, foundations
- Mobile, they can be moved with you should you choose to move house
- Can be quickly delivered after you have designed and ordered it
Get in contact with our sales team at Gateway Containers today to discuss your needs and we can help you design and fit out the shipping container home office to your requirements!
Things You Need to Think About
Before you do contact us to say you want a shipping container home office, here is a list of things you should consider:
- How much space do you really need? Even if you have a PA they will likely be working from home too, so it might just be your workstation, a comfortable chair and coffee making facilities. In that case a 20ft shipping container might be all you need. If your spouse wants the same and works in a different workplace, you could split a 40ft container into two spaces (with or without a door between.)
- New or used? Even a five year old used shipping container will be vermin and weatherproof yet will cost significantly less than a new container.
- What do you want in the container? Glass costs a lot of money but it’s unhealthy to not get natural light – smaller windows are cheaper. Insulation will keep the heat and cold out and minimise energy bills. You’ll likely want telecoms and what about electric lighting? Plumbing for a toilet/kitchenette too? Do you want it painted outside and inside to your own requirements?
- Price and delivery Shipping containers are in higher demand in some parts of the year than others. Ahead of the Christmas shopping season they can cost more than in January/February when world trade slows. Here at Gateway Containers we can offer an all-in price for the container, conversion and delivery or you can use three parties to achieve a different result.
Get in contact with Gateway Containers
With this in mind, contact our sales team at Gateway Containers to see about a competitive quote for a home office container conversion. We look forward to hearing from you!