Shipping Container Sheds Are the New Gardening Trend!
A new trend among many green thumb homeowners is to take advantage of the storage space that a shipping container shed offers to to keep all your tools and equipment organised.
A shipping container shed even has the benefit of being portable, so you can move it to wherever in your backyard you need it.
Let’s look at why shipping containers are ideal for garden sheds.
Why shipping containers make great garden sheds
Traditional garden sheds are typically left out in the elements, and constructed from flimsy wood or thin steel that can bow and warp over time.
A shipping container shed, on the other hand, is built out of strong and durable corten steel. This means your shed will stay strong and provide you with peace of mind that your tools are stored safely, no matter what the weather.
By using a shipping container as your garden shed, you are also taking advantage of a built-in corrugated iron roof structure. The galvanized steel tube frame provides structure and strength.
Shipping containers can also be fitted with insulation to keep your tools and equipment dry and protected from the weather. Click here to learn more about your insulation options.
You can even bump things up a notch and modify a shipping container to add a greenhouse to your garden!
Pros and cons of shipping container shed conversions
We’ve compiled some pros and cons to help you decide if a shipping container garden shed conversion is the right choice for you:
There are many pros to converting:
- One of the top benefits is the large space inside a 20-foot general purpose container. With 13.86m2 of floor space they are perfect for holding all your gardening equipment and gear.
- Another pro of using shipping container sheds is that they are mobile, allowing you to easily move your shed from one corner of your yard to another.
- If your needs for the shed change in the future, you can modify your container to suit. For example, you can convert your 20 ft shipping container into a guesthouse, a bunker or even just some personal space, should you wish to repurpose it. Check out our article on the perfect man cave!
Here’s our list of cons to consider before converting:
- Consider the cost of purchasing container sheds and the initial investment when it comes to converting them. To turn any of our container options into a garden shed, plus any additional upgrades, like insulation, might set you back a little money, but the long term benefits will outweigh the spend!
- You’ll need a decent sized backyard to install a 20 ft shipping container, we also provide 10 ft shipping containers if you have less space.
How to convert a shipping container into a garden shed
If you are interested in converting a shipping container into a shed, there are several steps you should take. Here’s our step by step list to convert and install your very own shipping container shed.
- First, contact your local council for approval, and fill out a building application to have your shed installed on your property as a permanent structure.
- Now it’s time to pick the perfect location for your container shed. Once you’ve done this, it’s time to find the right size container to convert into a shed.
- Look at what type of modifications you may need for your shipping container shed. Our recommendation is to purchase an insulated shipping container to keep your belongings cool and dry while they’re stored.
- Now that you’ve chosen the right container, you’ll need to create a foundation for your shed. We recommend using a concrete slab to secure it.
- Before moving the new shed to its final destination, it is important to wait until you have received your Certificate of Occupancy (CO) from the local council. This certificate means that your site and container are deemed safe, and you can go ahead and install them.
- Once the shed is in place, the next step is to secure it to the foundation. This will ensure that your new shed stays firmly in place during any natural disasters or weather conditions.
- Now, you can go ahead and begin to store your tools and equipment in your garden shed. Our recommendation is to install shelving to keep everything in order.
Tips for converting
Converting your shipping container into a garden shed is an exciting project, and Gateway containers are here to help you every step of the way.
When you’re ready to convert your shipping container, we have just a few tips to make it a smooth process;
- Check with your local council for any regulations or permits, as we mentioned above, that may be required. Having all the legal requirements will save you time and money in the long run!
- Draw up a floor plan of your garden, your shed and other garden furniture. Try all the different locations you are considering to place your shed, including whether you may want your shed north or south facing to receive sun in the morning or the afternoon. This will also let you see which layout leaves you the most space.
- We also encourage you to explore all the possible modifications to fit your garden shed needs, like ventilation, insulation, shelving, doors and windows. We find that 10ft shipping containers are the best fit for a standard size garden.
- Another thing we recommend is using our team here at Gateway Containers, to ensure your garden shed is installed properly and safely. Professional advice is vital when it comes to designing and constructing a quality shipping container shed that will last for years.
Grasmere School Garden Shed
Grasmere School is a primary school based in Victoria that has its very own vegetable garden for students. After they’d finished their hard work, students needed somewhere to store all their tools, and most importantly, their individual gardening gloves, seeds and gardening supplies. What better way than utilising a second-hand 20-foot shipping container. We think it does the job perfectly!
Looking for that perfect garden shed? Give Gateway Container Sales a call now.
With a full range of shipping containers in different sizes, from 10 ft to 40 ft, we’ve got exactly what you need. It doesn’t matter whether you want a basic container or a fully customised container shed with doors, windows, and an electrical fit-out, the team at Gateway Container Sales can advise you.
Contact us today and let’s get your new shipping container shed project up and running!